Skip to main content

The TCS Girl


It was 7 in the evening and my heartbeat was raging.
With passing time, I was getting restless,
My eyes were constantly on Whatsapp.
A call or a message I was waiting for either,
But till quarter to 8, I got neither.
Then a whistle sound of notification,
“I have done it, will call you in sometime.”
Oh! My excitement from the message knew no bounds.
I was running here and there, my feet not touching ground.

She called an hour later describing the interview,
Of questions and enquiries and how she sailed through.
The programming jargons passed over my head
But her joyous voice entered my heart.
I was longing to listen to these blissful words,
Since the beginning of the placement season.
I had tried to console her earlier, when she got rejected,
But unfortunately then, I lacked sufficient reason.

As she returned from Bhubaneswar a day later,
We met in the evening at our college CCD
And had a pleasant chatter
On topics ranging from her various probable job locations
To joining a weekend classroom coaching for MBA exam preparation.
The sun had set and dusk arrived,
But her face seemed to fill the world with light.

As we proceeded on our usual journey
From college to her hostel,
A sharp thought pierced me like a nail.
Taking away my cheerfulness for some time.
Oh! But I was familiar with it.
I had anticipated this thought since long.
Now it had finally started taking form.
She sensed my sudden change of mood.
“What happened?”, she asked.
I replied, “Our time for break up is coming soon.”

The excitement in her face faded away.
And she said, “I don’t understand.”
I explained to her that it was impossible for us to be together.
“We only have a couple of months left with each other.”
She got frustrated and I calmed her down.
“You know I dream to be a researcher and teacher”, I said
“With my GATE rank, I will get into an IIT MTech.
Whereas you dream about office and jobs,
You dream about MBA in IIMs.”
“So what!”, she exclaimed.

I said, “Our aspirations are poles apart in all spheres.
We need to move ahead keeping aside all our fears.
You dream about boardrooms and I about classrooms.
You see yourself in future verifying balance sheets,
And I see myself evaluating answer scripts.
You wish to travel India and abroad visiting exciting places.
While my travel will be limited from my chamber to class
Or from classroom to lab
Or as a hostel warden solving different cases.”

My words had stung her like a scorpion
And she felt almost the same pain.
Tears started flowing down her cheeks
Which she tried to control, but in vain.
She said “This job, this life, this MBA, IIM,
I am ready to sacrifice for you.
Wherever you go and whatever you do
I will always be with you.”
I replied, “Hostel entry time is going to end,
We can talk about this later.
But as a 21st century Indian girl,
You have one important thing to remember
All relationships are a phase of life.
They have a beginning and end.
Sacrificing your desires and aims for one man,
This excuse is just so lame.”

Saying this I bid her goodbye.
Leaving her at the hostel gate.
Then I returned to my hostel in slight grief,
As I knew the time to the end is now brief.
I don’t know what circumstances lie ahead.
Maybe in future, fate unites us both again.
But in my life forever, she will be a shining pearl.
As of now she is just my TCS girl

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

तुम, मैं और दो कप चाय।

Art By : Amrita Patnaik  दिसम्बर की ठंड और मुझसे दूर तुम। मानो खुद के ही शहर में हो गया मैं गुम। आज भी हर सुबह, वो शाम याद आए, तुम, मैं और दो कप चाय । कड़कती ठंड में भी तुम जैसे, सुबह की हल्की धूप। ढलती शाम में भी निखरते चाँद का प्रतिरूप। वो सारे शाम, जो हमने साथ बिताए, तुम, मैं और दो कप चाय । साथ चलते - चलते उस शाम, तुमने चाय की फरमाइश की। और मेरे ना कहने की तो कोई गुंजाइश न थी। बहुत खूबसूरत लगती हो जब, होठों की मुस्कान, आँखों में आ जाए, तुम, मैं और दो कप चाय । बनते चाय में आता उबाल, जैसे तुम्हारे नाक पर गुस्सा। छोटी - मोटी नोकझोंक, वो भी हमारे प्यार का हिस्सा। तेरा मुझे डाँटना, आज भी मुझे रिझाए, तुम, मैं और दो कप चाय । दोनों हाथों से चाय का गिलास पकड़कर, तुम्हारा वो प्यार से फूँक लगाना। उन प्यारी - प्यारी अदाओं से दिल में मीठा हूँक उठाना। फिर गिलास को चूमती वो गुलाबी होंठ, हाय!!!! तुम, मैं और दो कप चाय । हर चुस्की पर सुकून से तेरा, वो आँखें बंद कर लेना। और खुली आँखों से तुम्हें तकते - तकते मेरा जी भर

मेरे सपनों का भारत...

मेरे सपनों का भारत Art By Ananya Behera Drawn By : Anwesha Mishra कल रात को मैंने एक सपना देखा। सपने में वतन अपना देखा। मैंने देखा कि भारत बन गया है विकासशील से विकसित। जहाँ बच्चे से लेकर बूढ़े सभी थे शिक्षित। लोग कर चुका कर अदा कर रहे थे अपना फर्ज़। और काले धन से मुक्त होकर भारत पे नहीं था करोड़ों का कर्ज़। मेरे सपने में तो भारत अमेरिका के भी विकास के करीब था। उस भारत में, हरेक के पास रोज़गार और कोई नहीं गरीब था। जहाँ हर ओर मज़बूत सड़क, ऊँची इमारत और खेतों में हरयाली थी पर्याप्त। जहाँ विज्ञान का विकास और सर्वश्रेष्ठ थी यातायात। जहाँ उच्चतम तकनीकी विकास और विकसित था संचार। जहाँ नेता भलाई करते थे और शून्य पर था भ्रष्टाचार। मेरा सपना यहीं तक पहुँचा था कि हो गयी भोर। मेरी नींद टूट गई सुनकर गली में एक शोर। गली में कोई ऐसा गर्जित हुआ। कि स्वप्न को छोड़, वास्तविक भारत की ओर मेरा ध्यान आकर्षित हुआ। इस शोर ने मुझे देर से सोने की दे दी थी सजा। मैंने खिड़की खोलकर देखा कि शोर की क्या थी वजह? मैंन

THE XL GIRL

  There are a thousand thoughts cramming my mind And you in all of them, the only constant. Your thoughts have left such a deep impression Nothing can cure me, no ANOVA, no regression My brain has torn apart and fallen aside Giving my heart a free hand to commit the crime Yes, love is a crime after all that has happened, All those sleepless nights, all that pain, all those yowls. I learned no lesson; I am the worst of all.   I try staying away from you, but somehow, I get closer. I try to stop thinking about you, but the desires get deeper. I keep watching you during classes by pinning in Zoom And leave only when a question comes from the Prof, Boom!! I have become your virtual slave, a slave who was not hired. And I wear that badge on my shoulders; God knows what transpired The elegance in your gait and your baleful smile, Have turned me totally imbecile. The warmth in your looks, the feeling of comfort The calmness in your attitude and the bewi