Skip to main content

As I Flew Over Kiev

 March arrived and I started my journey back home in a jolly mood

After spending a comfortable winter in the lovely place of Hirakud

With a wish again to return next winter, here or perhaps some other place

India is a beautiful country, after all, can’t find anywhere such solace

My country is beautiful too, but the winters harsh

A bird that I am, can’t dare to bear the weather’s wrath

 

But as I started my travel, I sensed things were not the same as they were

Where there was peace before, Oh! How tensed people were

The students worried about jobs in future, the govt about what steps to take

I saw some mothers crying for their children, a fear of separation,

I saw fathers concerned about the safety of their sons and daughters

But what was wrong, what was happening, it was beyond my comprehension

 

I crossed India into Pakistan and there was the same old power game, same instability

I went then into Central Asia, and it was all great, with lovely scenes just like before

The view of snow-capped mountains from above just mesmerized me

After soaring over plains, valleys, and mountains I was nearing home, just a country left

And I arrived in those skies of our neighbour but felt the biggest shock

This was not the country I had seen before; it was all devastated

 

I saw Donetsk, I saw Luhansk, I saw Mariupol

I saw Odessa, I saw Kharkiv, and I saw Sumy

But I found grimed and bombed-out apartments,

I found people in distress huddled in subway stations

I found shattered glasses from restaurants and nightclubs

I found deserted parks and abandoned towns

 

As I proceeded, I saw people leaving their homes and running for their lives

I also saw their military preparing for a fight, a fight which they knew wasn’t easy

I saw students from India and elsewhere stuck there with anxiety

Some were rescued back to their home, and some still battling the uncertainty

I understood this was the reason for their parents’ fear and cry

But what can one do here, you can’t even ask “Why?”

 

Then at last as I flew over Kiev, I saw things were too gloomy

I found their leader hiding and the officials wary

A gorgeous city filled with vibrance, filled with exuberance

All that everyone was worried now was its sustenance

The sounds of bombs and missiles were deafening me, I was already in trauma

Should I move on, or should I go back somewhere else, it was my dilemma

 

I held my courage and somehow escaped that land

I returned ultimately to my place, my country, my Russia

Am I too supposed to take sides in this war of humans?

Because we never fight for land, we just struggle to live a calm life

We go everywhere, we have no borders, and we are all free

Be it India, Iran, Turkey or Azerbaijan, we fly, we stay and make merry

I don’t know who is at fault, is it Russia or the others, I can’t figure out

All that I know is that killing innocents is wrong, but I can’t shout

How long will these humans survive if they keep killing each other?

When they don’t kill themselves, they kill our environment

They poison our air, poison our rivers, we all die, and they enjoy

I am just a minor creature, can’t fight with them

I will do my duty what all birds do and pass away

Hoping that my future generations get a better place to stay

They shouldn’t see what I see and feel every day.

Comments

  1. It was a beautiful take on war and peace. Specially how India was taken as an example and viewed from a different perception. This talks about humanity which is its strong point and the reference of bird was cherry on the cake. Great job. Keep writing.. rocking.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

तुम, मैं और दो कप चाय।

Art By : Amrita Patnaik  दिसम्बर की ठंड और मुझसे दूर तुम। मानो खुद के ही शहर में हो गया मैं गुम। आज भी हर सुबह, वो शाम याद आए, तुम, मैं और दो कप चाय । कड़कती ठंड में भी तुम जैसे, सुबह की हल्की धूप। ढलती शाम में भी निखरते चाँद का प्रतिरूप। वो सारे शाम, जो हमने साथ बिताए, तुम, मैं और दो कप चाय । साथ चलते - चलते उस शाम, तुमने चाय की फरमाइश की। और मेरे ना कहने की तो कोई गुंजाइश न थी। बहुत खूबसूरत लगती हो जब, होठों की मुस्कान, आँखों में आ जाए, तुम, मैं और दो कप चाय । बनते चाय में आता उबाल, जैसे तुम्हारे नाक पर गुस्सा। छोटी - मोटी नोकझोंक, वो भी हमारे प्यार का हिस्सा। तेरा मुझे डाँटना, आज भी मुझे रिझाए, तुम, मैं और दो कप चाय । दोनों हाथों से चाय का गिलास पकड़कर, तुम्हारा वो प्यार से फूँक लगाना। उन प्यारी - प्यारी अदाओं से दिल में मीठा हूँक उठाना। फिर गिलास को चूमती वो गुलाबी होंठ, हाय!!!! तुम, मैं और दो कप चाय । हर चुस्की पर सुकून से तेरा, वो आँखें बंद कर लेना। और खुली आँखों से तुम्हें तकते - तकते मेरा जी भर

मेरे सपनों का भारत...

मेरे सपनों का भारत Art By Ananya Behera Drawn By : Anwesha Mishra कल रात को मैंने एक सपना देखा। सपने में वतन अपना देखा। मैंने देखा कि भारत बन गया है विकासशील से विकसित। जहाँ बच्चे से लेकर बूढ़े सभी थे शिक्षित। लोग कर चुका कर अदा कर रहे थे अपना फर्ज़। और काले धन से मुक्त होकर भारत पे नहीं था करोड़ों का कर्ज़। मेरे सपने में तो भारत अमेरिका के भी विकास के करीब था। उस भारत में, हरेक के पास रोज़गार और कोई नहीं गरीब था। जहाँ हर ओर मज़बूत सड़क, ऊँची इमारत और खेतों में हरयाली थी पर्याप्त। जहाँ विज्ञान का विकास और सर्वश्रेष्ठ थी यातायात। जहाँ उच्चतम तकनीकी विकास और विकसित था संचार। जहाँ नेता भलाई करते थे और शून्य पर था भ्रष्टाचार। मेरा सपना यहीं तक पहुँचा था कि हो गयी भोर। मेरी नींद टूट गई सुनकर गली में एक शोर। गली में कोई ऐसा गर्जित हुआ। कि स्वप्न को छोड़, वास्तविक भारत की ओर मेरा ध्यान आकर्षित हुआ। इस शोर ने मुझे देर से सोने की दे दी थी सजा। मैंने खिड़की खोलकर देखा कि शोर की क्या थी वजह? मैंन

THE XL GIRL

  There are a thousand thoughts cramming my mind And you in all of them, the only constant. Your thoughts have left such a deep impression Nothing can cure me, no ANOVA, no regression My brain has torn apart and fallen aside Giving my heart a free hand to commit the crime Yes, love is a crime after all that has happened, All those sleepless nights, all that pain, all those yowls. I learned no lesson; I am the worst of all.   I try staying away from you, but somehow, I get closer. I try to stop thinking about you, but the desires get deeper. I keep watching you during classes by pinning in Zoom And leave only when a question comes from the Prof, Boom!! I have become your virtual slave, a slave who was not hired. And I wear that badge on my shoulders; God knows what transpired The elegance in your gait and your baleful smile, Have turned me totally imbecile. The warmth in your looks, the feeling of comfort The calmness in your attitude and the bewi